Translational Neuroscience Symposium
Featuring Nobel Laureate Roger Tsien
February 27 to March 1, 2011
Christopher S. Bond Life Sciences Center
The neuroscience community at the University of Missouri will host a Translational Neuroscience Symposium featuring such internationally distinguished scientists as Nobel Laureate Roger Tsien, PhD, recipient of the 2008 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. The MU community is invited to participate in this gathering of leading national and international neuroscience researchers.
Neurodegenerative diseases — including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and stroke — comprise the most prevalent age-related diseases and together have the greatest national economic impact. Recent advances in information technology and drug design paired with individually-tailored therapies have led to new understandings in the molecular mechanisms and progression of these neurologic diseases, inspiring new hope for treatments.
The University of Missouri Health System has identified neurologic disorders as a major focus for clinical care and translational research, and it has created an environment that brings the newest advances to the heart of Missouri. A new neurosciences unit is under construction at University Hospital to provide care for patients with neurologic problems, and adjoining research laboratories at the Center for Translational Neuroscience in the MU School of Medicine opened in 2010.
The following Translational Neuroscience Symposium speakers are made possible through these coordinated efforts and MU Advantage grant support:
- Nicolas G. Bazan, MD, PhD, Ernest C. and Yvette C. Villere Endowed Chair for the Study of Retinal Degenerations and Boyd Professor and Professor of Ophthalmology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Neurology, Louisiana State University
- David Q. Beversdorf, MD, Director of the Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory, Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Associate Professor of Radiology, Neurology, and Psychology, University of Missouri
- Zezong Gu, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences, University of Missouri
- Philip G. Haydon, PhD, Chair of Neuroscience and Annetta and Gustav Grisard Professor, Tufts University
- Sandra J. Hewett, PhD, Professor of Neuroscience at University of Connecticut Health Center
- Edward H. Koo, MD, Professor of Neuroscience and Associate Director of Alzheimer Disease Research Center, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
- Teng-Nan Lin, PhD, Research Fellow at the Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
- Siqi Liu, PhD, Professor and Director of the Proteomic Analysis Group, Chinese Academy of Sciences Beijing Institute of Genomics, Beijing, China
- Gary W. Miller, PhD, Professor and Associate Dean for Research, Emory University School of Public Health
- Grace Y. Sun, PhD, Scientific Director of the Center for Translational Neurosciences, Professor of Biochemistry and Pathology and Anatomical Sciences, University of Missouri
- Roger Y. Tsien, PhD, 2008 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, Professor of Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Pharmacology, University of California, San Diego; Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator
- Gary A. Weisman, PhD, Director of Graduate Studies in Biochemistry, Professor of Biochemistry, University of Missouri
- Gary L. Wenk, PhD, Professor of Psychology, Neuroscience, Genetics, and Molecular Virology and Immunology, Ohio State University and Medical Center
- W. Gibson Wood, PhD, Professor of Pharmacology and Director of Graduate Studies in Pharmacology, University of Minnesota